Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Momma's Creamy Tomato Basil Soup {What I Worked on Wednesday}

My momma makes the best homemade soups.  They're all good but this one has got to be my fav!  Creamy Tomato Basil, aka, pure-happiness-in-a-bowl. I love chunks so that's probably part of the reason why I love this one so much. Set your eyes on this!  Are you drooling yet?

Its soup season in MN and I just so happen to have some organic tomatoes that I grew in my garden this year that are calling out to me from the freezer.  They want to be cooked up into something yummy.  So on with the recipe, right?!

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Saute in butter:
1 onion, chopped
2 medium peppers, diced {green, red, yellow, orange}
2 julienned carrots
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms

Save out any of the above that you prefer less cooked and add later.

Add: 
8-10 cups tomato juice or chunks
1 12 oz can tomato paste
2 cups cooked rice {brown basmati is good}
2 T or more of sweetener {real maple syrup is yummy}
2 T dried basil
Salt to taste-probably close to a tablespoon, more or less depending on the salt content of the other ingredients

After all this is heated through, add 1/4 c or more butter and 1 c cream {half and half works, if you must}. I try not to boil it after I add the cream. If soup is too thick, add water.

So what are you working on this fine Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment