Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Apple Scones + Maple Frosting #Recipe

When you get rained out from Farmer's Market I highly suggest another pot of coffee and some scones.  At this time of year I think of any reason I can to use an apple.  I usually double this batch so we have some leftovers since I have a child who refuses to eat cereal for breakfast. And he grew over 5" in the last year so filling him up is a challenge.  These apple scones with maple frosting are kid tested and finger licking good!

Apple Scones
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 TB baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon orange zest
12 TB butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 heavy whipping cream
1 cup apples chopped

Maple Frosting
3 TB butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 teaspoons maple syrup (or substitute 1 teaspoon imitation maple flavoring)
1 teaspoon milk

Cut butter into flour with pastry blender.  Add sugar, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and orange zest. Stir until evenly distributed then stir in chopped apples.  When I was zesting my orange into the flour mixture my son asked why I was putting "the scraps" into our scones.  Boys! At least he recognizes good compost material when he see's it.  ;)

Stir in heavy whipping cream and beaten eggs.  If you prefer traditional scones you can shape your dough and cut into wedges. I prefer to add another 1/4-1/2 cup of milk and drop them onto the baking stone.  Less mess on my kitchen counter!  Bake at 425* for 13-15 minutes.

For the frosting, melt butter, stir in powdered sugar, maple syrup and milk until smooth.  Drizzle over warm scones. Enjoy this yummy fall twist on a traditional scone.  What's your favorite apple recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment